Acorn Squash Bechamel Lasagna with Sage Sausage and Spinach
- Cooking Time: 75
- Servings: 8-10
- Preparation Time: 60
- 2 acorn squash
- 5 T butter
- 4 T flour
- 1 t salt
- dash white pepper
- dash nutmeg
- 2 C whole milk
- 12 lasagna noodles
- 1-1 lb roll sage pork sausage
- 1 box frozen chopped baby spinach
- 3/4 C golden raisins
- 30 oz carton part skim ricotta
- 2 T maple syrup
- cracked black pepper
- 8 oz shredded part skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 T chopped pine nuts
- Split acorn squash in half; remove seeds. Roast pulp side down in 1 inch of water in a 425F oven for 45 minutes. Cool until able to handle. Spoon pulp out of skin into blender; puree.
- Melt butter in small saucepan oven medium low heat. Add flour, salt, white pepper and nutmeg; stir until combined. Add milk, whisking until sauce thickens. Add sauce to blender; mix with squash puree.
- Boil lasagna noodles until al dente; drain and lay out on clean dish towels to prevent sticking
- Cook sausage and spinach in a large skillet until sausage is browned, spinach is thawed, and moisture cooked off. Drain fat if needed. Add raisins to the spinach sausage mixture.
- Assemble lasagna in an 11x8 baking dish (the deeper the better). Spread sauce to cover the bottom of the pan. Lay 3 noodles on top of sauce. Layer 1/3 sausage spinach mixture, 1/3 ricotta, 1/4 mozzarella, and sauce. Repeat twice. Top last layer of noodles with remaining sauce, mozzarella, cracked pepper and pine nuts.
- Bake uncovered in a 350F oven for 30-40 minutes, until sauce is bubbly and the top starts to brown. If your pan is not deep, consider placing on a rimmed cookie sheet to catch drips.
The inspiration for this came from a Weight Watcher's recipe that I made for a Thanksgving potluck last year. That recipe was very simple (and not very tasty, either) with just low fat cheese and squash. With the addition of sausage, spinach, ricotta and a bechamel sauce, its a completely different approach to a fall flavored lasagna, that is decidedly NOT weight watcher's friendly. This is my Bakespace Challenge #9 entry.