African Chicken & Rice
- 3lb broiler-fryer chicken, cut up
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) stewed tomatoes (with liquid)
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup uncooked regular rice
- 1 cup cooked smoked ham, cubed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp ground red pepper
- 3 cups coarsely shredded green cabbage
- 8 ounces green beans *
- 2 onions, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Heat chicken, tomatoes, water, 2 teaspoons salt and the pepper to boiling in 5-quart Dutch oven; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 30 minutes. Remove chicken. Stir in rice, ham, cinnamon and red pepper. Add chicken, cabbage, green beans and onions. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer until thickest pieces of chicken are done, 20 to 30 minutes longer.
Uncomplicated and sooo tasty. Easy clean-up too in a one pot dish.Jollof means that the rice is cooked with the other ingredients of the dish, rather than cooked separately. In our recipe for this Ghanan [Ghanaian] favorite, chicken and rice bake in a spicy tomato sauce with fresh green beans and cabbage.