- Cooking Time: 15 minutes + chilling
- Servings: 8 servings
- Preparation Time: 20 minutes
- 4 to 6 unsalted saltine matzo crackers
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- 1 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- Line a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan with foil; line the foil with parchment paper. Arrange crackers in pan; set aside.
- In a large heavy saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Stir in brown sugar. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 3-4 minutes or until sugar is dissolved. Spread evenly over crackers.
- Bake at 350° for 15-17 minutes (cover loosely with foil if top browns too quickly). Cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Stir in almonds; spread over top. Cool for 1 hour.
- Break into pieces. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or until set. Store in an airtight container.