Alton Brown's Chocolate Peppermint Pinwheel Cookies
- Cooking Time: 7
- Servings: 3 Dozen
- Preparation Time: 15
- 1 batch Sugar Cookies, recipe follows
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1/2 cup crushed candy canes or peppermint candies
- Divide the dough in half and add chocolate and vanilla to 1 half and incorporate with hands.
- Add egg yolk, peppermint extract, and crushed candy to other half of dough and incorporate with hands.
- Cover both with plastic and chill for approximately 5 minutes.
- Roll out doughs separately to approximately 1/4-inch thickness.
- Place peppermint dough on top of chocolate and press together around the edges.
- Using waxed paper or flexible cutting board underneath, roll dough into log.
- Wrap in wax paper and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Remove dough from the refrigerator and cut into 1/2-inch slices.
- Place cookies 1-inch apart on greased baking sheet, parchment, or silicone baking mat and bake for 12 to 13 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through cooking time.
- Remove from oven and let sit on baking sheet for 2 minutes, then move to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.