Angel Food Cake
- Cooking Time: 1.25 hrs
- 1 1/4 cups sugar - divided
- 1 cup sifted cake flour
- 1 cup egg whites (8 - 10 eggs)
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- Preheat oven to 275' F
- Sift 1/4 cup of sugar and the cake flour, 4 times. (I sifted it onto a piece of parchment paper...then emptied it back into the sifter). Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg whites, cream of tartar and salt into a stiff foam. Add the remaining sugar, a little at a time, beating it in. Add in the extracts.
- Fold in the sifted flour mix, sifting yet again as you add it, a little at a time, into the egg white foam.
- Pour into a large ungreased tube pan (I used a bundt pan. not highly recommended). With a butter knife of spatula, cut through the batter to remove large air bubbles.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Increase oven temperature to 300' F and bake 40 - 45 minutes longer.
- Remove from oven, invert pan for an hour before removing.
- Carefully run a knife around all of the edges and remove from pan
Strawberry season is right around the corner. Time to get your Angel Food Cake on. This recipe is from The American Woman's Cookbook. If you're not a fan of almond extract, just omit it and use a full teaspoon of vanilla instead of the listed 3/4 tsp. I made this in a bundt pan. I don't recommend it. If you have a tube pan or access to one...use it.