Angie's Grandma's Italian Pizzelle Cookies: Desperate Housewives
- Cooking Time: 30
- Servings: 6 dozen
- Preparation Time: 10
- 12 eggs
- 2 cup sugar
- 1.5 cups vegetable oil
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoon baking powder
- 6 tablespoons fennel seeds
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, and 2 additional egg, or
- 1/2 cup amaretto and an additional 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- You must use a Pizzelle Iron to bake these one!
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, sugar and oil and mix until well combined. Add the flour, baking powder, fennel seeds, and optional ingredients if desired, and mix well to form a homogenous batter. Set aside at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Heat the pizzelle iron until very hot. Pour 2 tablespoons of batter onto the iron, close it, and return to the heat. Cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Repeat until all the batter is used. Once the pizzelle is done cooking carefully remove it with a fork and cool on a rack or wax paper.
My grandmother used to make this recipe for me growing up. I made the recipe when the ladies invited me over for a friendly chat and to get to know them. Because these cookies are part treat, part holiday decoration, it was easy to blend into their world. I wasn't expecting there would be drama when Katherine showed up. Luckily, the ladies on Wisteria Lane are so caught up in their own catastrophes that we can lay low. These are not low calorie cookies and my grandmother would always cook for 30 so this recipe is for 6 dozen cookies.