- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 5-7 Tbsp. ice water
- Crust (above)
- 1 apple per person in group, peeled and cored
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup corn syrup
- 1 cup water
- 2 Tbsp. margarine
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Prepare crust: Combine flour and salt in mixing bowl. Cut in shortening. With fork, add water and stir in until dough begins to form. Form a ball with your hands. Roll out dough on a floured surface. Roll into a rectangle or square.
- Cut dough into squares with a butter knife to fit apples.
- Place an apple on each square.
- Moisten corners of pastry.
- Bring two opposite corners up over apple and pinch together.
- Repeat with remaining corners; pinch together to seal.
- Place dumplings in a baking dish.
- Heat remaining ingredients to boiling in a saucepan, stirring occasionally.
- Boil three minutes.
- Carefully pour around dumplings.
- Bake for 40 minutes, spooning sauce over dumplings 2 or 3 times, until crust is golden brown and apple is tender.