Apple Muffins by Ellie
- Cooking Time: 20
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time: 20
- Cooking spray - not butter flavored, just original/plain
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup natural applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup lowfat buttermilk
- 1 Golden Delicious apple, peeled, cored and cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Coat a 12-capacity muffin pan with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, mix together 2 tablespoons of the brown sugar, the pecans and cinnamon.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the all-purpose and whole-wheat flour, baking soda and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk the remaining 3/4 cup sugar and oil until combined. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, whisking well after each addition. Whisk in the applesauce and vanilla.
- Whisk in the flour mixture in 2 batches, alternating with the buttermilk. Whisk just until combined. Gently stir in the apple chunks.
- Pour the batter into the prepared muffin pan and sprinkle with the pecan mixture. Tap the pan on the counter a few times to remove any air bubbles. Bake for 20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center of 1 of the muffins comes out clean.
- Let cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Run a knife around the muffins to loosen them and unmold. Cool completely on the rack.
- And there is a comment on there from a Mary in Washington DC that said she substituted the apples and apple sauce for two whole grapefruits and a cup of coconut and a 1/4 cup soymilk in place of the buttermilk. She said they were fantastic and even her picky eater gobbled up two of them! Great way to get in some citrus. Grapefruit is a MAJOR fat burner so great sub!