Apple Pecan Mini Pies with Brie Cheese
- Cooking Time: 40 mins
- Servings: 16
- 4 apples, peeled, cored and diced (I used Honey Crisp apples) - about 3 cups
- 1 TB butter
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 TB cornstarch
- 2 TB fruit preserves (I used my Vanilla Fig and Pear Jam)
- 1 1/2 cups toasted pecans, chopped
- 16 toasted pecan halves to garnish
- 8 oz brie cheese, cut into 16 - 1/2 oz chunks.
- Filo Dough (the amount of sheets will depend on the size of your sheets. You will need enough sheets to make 16 sets of 4 - 4x4 sheets)
- melted butter for filo sheets
- Preheat oven to 325' F
- In a medium sauce pan, combine diced apple, 1 TB butter, sugar, cinnamon, cornstarch and preserves. Simmer over low heat for 5 mins.
- Add the chopped pecans to the apple mixture and continue simmering for another 5 minutes. Not too long. You want the apples to still be crisp. Set aside
- Prepare your filo dough as follows:
- Take one sheet and brush the edges with melted butter (this keeps it in place), then continue to brush the whole sheet with butter. Place another sheet on top and brush it in the same manner.
- Cut the two prepared sheets into 4x4" squares. Take two square sets and lay them on top of each other at an angel to form a star.
- The sheets that are set aside, waiting for their turn to be used in greatness need to be covered with a damp towel. They dry out really fast
- take your filo star and place it over a muffin tin. Gently press down on the center to form a cup. Repeat
- You should now have 16 prepared muffin tins. Place a chunk of brie cheese inside each muffin tin
- Divide the apple mixture evenly between each cup (this should measure out to about 1/3 cup each, depending on the size of your apples)
- Top each cup with a pecan half
- Bake for about 40 minutes or until the edges of your filo are golden brown. Let sit in the pan for a couple of minutes then gently remove with a butter knife and place on a cooling wrack.
- Enjoy fresh out of the oven or chilled.
These little mini pies are perfect. They aren't too sweet. They aren't messy. The pecans were roasted prior to baking and add a great smokey flavor along with the nuttiness. The apple texture, with it's sweet tartness is the perfect offset to the brie cheese. And the filo crust? FABULOUS!!