Applesauce Cake topped with Sliced Bananas, Blueberries, Confectioner's Sugar
- Cooking Time: 50 minutes
- Preparation Time: 10-15 minutes
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp each: cloves, nutmeg & allspice
- 1/2 cup shortening (I usually use Crisco.)
- 1 lb jar applesauce (standard size=I think it's 16 oz)
- 2 eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Use 1 large mixing bowl. Sift into bowl thru flour sifter the following: flour, sugar, baking powder, soda, salt & all spices. Then add: shortening & applesauce. Mix thoroughly, scraping bowl down as needed to mix completely. Grease a 9 1/2" X 13 1/2" baking pan. [Margarine works well & costs less.] Pour mixture into pan and even out top with plastic spatula or whatever you've got.
- Bake at 350 for 50 minutes or until it passes the toothpick test. After removing from oven, cool in the pan, on tabletop rack.
When I first found this recipe, it recommended topping the cake with confectioner's sugar, but the sugar soaks right into the cake, even when cool, so you'd never know it was there. LOL So I served it with sliced bananas, blueberries & THEN the confectioner's sugar at a church women's circle meeting hosted in my home & it was a big hit! I honestly don't remember where I first found it.