Asian Pumpkin Icebox Cake
- Cooking Time: 1 hour + chilling time
- Servings: 9-12
- Preparation Time: 30 minutes
- 16 graham crackers, broken
- 1 T. dark brown sugar
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1 stick of unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 packets Knox gelatin
- 2 small cans Libby's Pumpkin Puree
- 4 oz. cream cheese at room temperature
- 1 can (12 oz.) evaporated milk
- 1 c. packed dark brown sugar
- 1 T. Chinese 5 Spice
- 3/4 t. salt
- 1 c. heavy cream
- 2 T. sugar
- 1 T. grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 t. ground ginger
- To make the crust: Pre-heat the oven to 325 degrees. Use a 9 inch square baking dish.
- Process the graham crackers with the sugar and salt until the fine crumbs appear. With the machine running, slowly pour the melted butter through the feed tube until the mixture resembles wet sand.
- Press the crumbs up the sides to the top and across the bottom of the pan.
- Bake until the crust is a deep golden brown and fragrant about 20-25 minutes.
- Let cool.
- Make the filling: Place 1/4 c. cold water in a small bowl. Sprinkle gelatin on top and let stand 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together pumpkin puree and cream cheese until smooth.
- In a small saucepan, combine evaporated milk, brown sugar, salt, and Chinese 5 Spice.. Bring to simmer over medium heat
- Add gelatin mixture. Stir until there are no lumps.
- Pour milk mixture into pumpkin mixture and whisk until smooth.
- Pour filling into cooled crust, Refrigerate until chilled and set, about 3 hours.
- Before serving whip the cream and sugar until soft peaks form, folding fresh grated ginger at the end..
- Top the pie with whipped cream and sprinkle with ground ginger.