Aunt Sherry’s Chicken Cacciatore
- 4 medium chicken breasts cleaned and cubed
- 1/2 cup white wine (optional)
- 3 TBLS olive oil
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 14.5 oz cans whole tomatoes quartered
- 1 lg or 2 small cans tomato sauce
- 1 medium green bell pepper cut in 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 1/2 oz sliced mushrooms, fresh or canned (drain juice)
- 1 lg bay leaf
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp dried rosemary crushed
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Clean chicken, cut or cube. Pat dry and set aside.
- Slice onions in 1/4 inch or less slices and mince garlic. Mix remaining ingredients in a large bowl and set aside.
- Put onions and garlic in large medium hot skillet with hot olive oil (do not burn oil) Stir frequently to prevent burning.
- Cook until onion is clear. Remove from pan. Set aside. You may need to add 1-2 TBLS olive oil to pan. Cook chicken in the same skillet.
- When chicken is fully cooked, return onions and garlic to the chicken and stir.
- Add tomato mixture to chicken mixture. Stir well. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium low and cook 30 minutes covered. Stir occasionally.
- Remove lid, add 1/2 cup wine and stir. Cook an additional 15 minutes uncovered. Serve over rice.