Authentic Tortilla Soup
- Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 15 minutes
- 1 16-oz. can tomatoes, undrained
- 1 medium onion, chopped (I like Vidalia onions)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 Tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 lbs. cooked chicken breast, chopped
- 2 or 3 chipotle peppers (the kind that are canned in adobo sauce), chopped
- garnish: shredded Monterrey Jack cheese, sour cream, guacamole, sliced avocado, tortilla chips
- Put tomatoes, onion, garlic, cilantro and sugar in blender; blend until smooth.
- Pour puree into large pot, add broth, chicken and chipotle peppers.
- *Add at least 1/2 teaspoon adobo sauce from can. *This is your SECRET INGREDIENT; without the adobo sauce the soup will taste flat.
- Simmer soup 20 minutes.
- If you want the soup spicier, add more adobo sauce 1/4 teaspoon at a time; can also add more chipotle peppers 1 at a time.
- Put desired garnish in bottom of each bowl, ladle soup into bowl over garnish.