Avgolemono (Greek Lemon & Rice Soup)
- 8 c. chicken broth
- 1 c. uncooked orzo
- 4 eggs separated
- Juice from 4 lemons
- black pepper (freshly ground)
- Cooked shredded chicken*
- Bring the broth to a boil in a large pot.
- Once it's boiling, add the orzo and simmer until tender (about 20 minutes).
- Whip egg whites until they form medium peaks and then add yolks, beating continuously. (I do all of this in my Kitchen Aid and it only takes a few minutes.)
- Add lemon juice to egg mixture while still mixing.
- Take 2 cups of hot broth from the pot and slowly add to the egg/lemon mixture. Make sure you are adding the broth in a constant slow stream while continuing to beat so you do not curdle the eggs.
- Add egg/lemon/broth mixture back to remaining broth and serve.
- When reheating, do not re-boil.
- Try and heat slowly until very warm or you may curdle the eggs. Garnish with thinly sliced lemon.
- **You can also add thin pieces of shredded chicken meat (pull off bone in strips).
- It is optional but I almost always do.