Avgolemono (Greek Lemon and Rice Soup)
- 8 cups chicken stock, preferably homemade, if not, low sodium
- 1 cup orzo pasta, or rice
- 4 eggs, separated
- Juice of 3 lemons
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1. Bring stock to a boil and add orzo or rice. Simmer until tender, about 20 minutes. Season stock to taste with salt, if necessary.
- 2. When the orzo or rice is nearing tenderness, whisk the egg whites in a separate bowl until medium peaks. Add egg yolks and lemon juice, whisking continuously.
- 3. When the orzo or rice is finished, transfer 2 cups of the hot stock to the egg/lemon mixture, adding very slowly in a constant stream and beating vigorously to prevent the eggs from solidifying.
- 4. Take the soup off the heat and add the beaten mixture back into the pot, whisking to incorporate. Serve immediately with freshly ground black pepper.
I found this recipe somewhere on the internet (don't remember where) and thought it sounded good. It's very easy to make, and doesn't take too long either. I added chicken to the recipe just because. I sauteed boneless/skinless chicken thighs till done in my dutch oven, removed them, and then added the stock for step #1, scraping up the "fond" from the bottom of the pan. I diced the chicken roughly and added it back after the whisking in step #4. You could also use b/s chicken breasts, and shred the meat if you prefer.