BAKED FRENCH TOAST CASSEROLE
- 1 loaf french bread (13-16oz)
- 8 large eggs
- 2 c half and half
- 1 c milk
- 2 T sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp each: ground cinnamon and ground nutmeg
- dash salt
- praline topping - recipe follows
- maple syrup and powdered sugar for serving.
- PRALINE TOPPING
- 2 sticks butter, softened
- 1 c light brown sugar, packed
- 1 c chopped pecans
- 2 T light corn syrup
- 1/2 tsp each - cinnamon and nutmeg
- 1) slice french bread into 20 slices, 1 inch each ( if there are extra slices save for another use)arrange slices in a generously buttered 13x9 baking dish in 2 rows, overlapping the slices
- 2) In a large bowl combine eggs, milk, half and half, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Beat with a rotary beater or whisk until blended but not too bubbly. Pour mixture over bread slices, making sure all are covered evenly with egg/milk mixture. Spoon mixture between slices. Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.
- 3) The next day, preheat oven to 350, spread Praline Topping over the bread and bake for 40 mins, until puffed and lightly golden.
- 4) Serve with maple syrup and powdered sugar
- TOPPING DIRECTIONS
- Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and blend well. Makes enough for 1 baked french toast casserole
This Baked French Toast posted by rosiepie on TOHBB is scrumptious, and will have a repeat performance. I made only half a recipe in an 8 by 8 dish. Next time, I will use only eight 1-inch slices (ten filled the pan too much). I used the same amount of vanilla and spices in the egg mixture, but halved all the other ingredients in the recipe. Did not use syrup or powdered sugar... praline topping was delicious without any additions.