BBQ Cola Grilled Chicken
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1½ cups cola (such as Coca-Cola)
- ½ cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1½ teaspoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1½ pounds skinless, boneless chicken tenderloins
- Cooking spray
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Heat a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add onion to pan; sauté 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in cola and next 4 ingredients (through chili powder); bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until sauce reduces somewhat.
- Combine sugar and next 4 ingredients (through cumin), stirring well. Rub spice mixture evenly over both sides of chicken. Let sit 30 minutes.
- Arrange chicken on a grill rack coated with cooking spray. Grill chicken 5 minutes and then flip; baste with sauce. Grill 5 minutes. Flip chicken over; baste with sauce. Grill 2-3 minutes. Flip chicken over, grill 2-3 more minutes or until internal temp reaches 165 degrees.
- Serve with remaining sauce if there is any.
I love sweet BBQ sauce! My 2 favorites are Sweet Baby Ray's and Montgomery Inn which is a restaurant located in Cincinnati Ohio! I also love Coca-Cola but gave it up several years ago so when I find recipes with Coca-Cola, I make them! This sauce was delicious and not overly sweet for our taste buds! I think this sauce would be great for any BBQ dish! The chicken rub had a nice bite to it but not overly spicy! With the spice of the chicken and the sweetness of the sauce, it was a marriage made it heaven! Chicken was moist on the inside and saucy on the outside! Delicious!