BLACKBERRY BREAKFAST BARS
- Servings: 18
- 2 cups fresh blackberries
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup quick cooking rolled oats (I use old-fashioned oats)
- 2/3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
- For the filling, in a medium saucepan combine berries, sugar, water, lemon juice and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, simmer uncovered for about 8 minutes or till slightly thickened, stirring frequently. Remove from heat.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the flour, oats, brown sugar, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, and baking soda. Stir in the melted butter or margarine until thoroughly combined. Set aside 1 cup of the oat mixture for topping. Press remaining oat mixture into an ungreased 9X9X2-inch pan. Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Carefully spread the filling on top of the baked crust. Sprinkle with the reserved oat mixture. Lightly press the oat mixture onto the filling. Bake for another 20 to 25 minutes more or until topping is set. Cool in the pan on a wire rack. Cut into bars.
I followed this recipe as is, except since I am using frozen berries, while I made the filling it was a little more loose than I would like so I added a slurry of some cornstarch and water to thicken the berries to my liking and also instead of the quick cooking oats called for I used old-fashioned rolled oats in place of them, this is what I tend to have on hand as I prefer them over the quick, although quick will work just as well, I just went with what I had in my pantry. I just love berries, and blackberries are great in these.