BUBOR PULUT HITAM (Black Rice Pudding) - Malaysia
- Cooking Time: 45
- Servings: 10-12
- Preparation Time: 20
- 3 cups glutenous black rice*
- 16 cups water
- 6 tablespoons palm sugar* (gula melaka)
- 6 tablespoons white sugar
- 2 slices fresh ginger
- 3 cups thick coconut milk
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- *These ingredients can be purchased at your local Oriental food market.
- Wash rice thoroughly and put in a large pan with water.
- Cover, bring to a boil, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add both sugars, ginger, and simmer very gently stirring from time to time, until the rice is soft and swollen.
- It may be necessary to add water during cooking.
- The final consistency of the bubor should be that of porridge.
- Mix thick coconut milk with salt.
- Serve warm bubor pulot hitam in individual bowls with a little coconut milk poured over the top.
Is this a snack or dessert? Well folks in the Asian countries they don't serve sweets after a dinner, but mostely mid-day, however if you want to serve Bubor Pulut Hitam as a dessert go right ahead. The first time my wife and I ate Bubur Pulut Hitam was in Malaysia and this is indeed a popular Malay sweet. Selamat Makan!