Bacon And Cheese Corn Bread
- Cooking Time: 60
- Servings: 10
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 1/2 Tbs (1 1/2 packets) dry yeast
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 3 Tbs cooking oil
- 1 cup sour milk*
- 1 Tbs salt
- 1 cup cooked crumbled bacon
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese (optional)
- In a small bowl sprinkle the sugar with the warm water, add yeast and allow it to rise in a warm place until bubbling, about 10 minutes. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, mix cornmeal, flour, eggs, cooking oil, sour milk and salt. Fold over once, then add the yeast. Turn onto floured board and knead till smooth. Cover and let rise, about 1 hour. After it has risen, punch down and add the bacon and cheese if desired. Mix well.
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Pour mixture onto a greased and floured 9 X 11 inch baking dish. Allow the dough to rise again for about 20 minutes. Bake for about 1 hour. Let cool slightly, and cut in squares to serve.
- The corn bread tastes best when served warm. Serve on its own or a platter with cold cuts and a selection of cheeses.
- to make sour milk, add 1 tsp vinegar per cup of milk and let stand 5 minutes.