Baked Apple Butter
- Cooking Time: 180
- Servings: 36
- Preparation Time: 15
- 8 large Apples of whatever variety (or mix thereof) you'd like.
- 1 cup unsweetened Apple Juice
- 1 cup Brown Sugar
- 2 (generous) tsp. ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 (generous) tsp. ground Cloves
- 1/4 (generous) tsp. ground Allspice
- The ground up seeds of one large Green Cardamom Pod
- Generous pinch of Salt
- Core and cut the apples into chunks, but leave the skin on. Put apples and apple juice into a large sauce pan and boil over meduim heat for 30 minutes.
- Set oven to 275°F.
- Using a stick blender, blend the apples and skins until smooth. You can also use a food processor or blender, working in batches.
- Add the sugar , cinnamon, cloves, allspice, cardamom and salt. Stir to mix well. Pour into a 13x9 inch baking dish, and bake for 2 - 3 hours, stirring every half-hour, or until the butter reaches the consistency you like.
Having my previous attempt at making apple butter end up causing my arms to fall off from all the constant stirring, I decided to try a different approach. Gleaning methods and recipe basics from a number of different sources, I came up with this easy baked apple butter which requires very little in the way of stirring.