Baked Eggplant with Savory Cheese Stuffing
- Servings: 4
- 2 medium eggplants, each cut in half lengthwise
- Cooking Spray
- 1 (1oz) slice white bread
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ½ cups finely chopped onion
- 1 ¼ cups finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup finely chopped seeded plum tomato
- 1 tsp chopped fresh or ¼ tsp dried oregano
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 cup (3 oz) crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400
- Score cut side of each eggplant half by making 4 crosswise cuts. Place the eggplant halves, cut side down, on a foil-lined baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400 for 25 minutes or until tender. Remove from oven; cool on pan 10 minutes. Carefully remove pulp, leaving a 1/3 thick shell; reserve eggplant shells. Chop pulp.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350
- Place bread in a food processor; pulse 10 times or until coarse crumbs measure cup. Drizzle the breadcrumbs with olive oil and pulse to combine.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add onion; saut� 3 minutes. Stir in the chopped eggplant, bell pepper, tomato, oregano and garlic; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in cheese, parsley, salt and black pepper. Stuff each eggplant shell with about cup onion mixture; sprinkle with breadcrumb mixture. Place on baking sheet; bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until thoroughly heated and lightly browned.