Baked French Toast Casserole
- 1 loaf French bread (13 to 16 ounces) sliced into 20 slices, 1 inch each.
- 5 eggs
- 2 cups half and half, I have used fat free half and half
- 1 cup milk
- 2 TB sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- dash salt
- Praline Topping, recipe follows
- 1 stick butter
- 1 cup paacked light brown sugar
- 1 cup shopped pecans
- 2 TB maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and blend well. Makes enough for Baked French Toast Casserole.
- Arrange bread slices in a buttered 9x13 in. flat baking dish in 2 rows, overlapping the slices. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, half and half, milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt and beat with a whisk until blended but not too bubbly. Pour mixture over the bead slices, making sure all are covered evenly with the milk-egg mixture. Spoon some of the mixture in between the slices. Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, preheat oven to 350. Pour off some of the extra liquid left inside the pan if too much liquid is there.
- Spread Praline Topping evenly over the bread and bake for 40 minutes, until puffed and lightly golden. Serve with maple syrup, but I don't even think you need it. Perfect the way it is. This has the flavor of a gigantic cinnamon roll.