- Cooking Time: 25
- Servings: 8-10
- Preparation Time: 15
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 can (28 ounces) whole tomatoes
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) basil-and-oregano diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- Zita and Cheese
- 1 box (16 ounces) ziti
- 1 bag (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan or Pecorino Romano cheese
- 1. Heat oven to 375 degrees. Coat a 13x9x2 inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- 2. Sauce: Heat oil in a 3-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook 4 minutes. Add garlic and cook another minute. Stir in whole tomatoes and their juice, breaking tomatoes apart with your hands or a wooden spoon. Stir in tomato sauce, tomato paste, sugar, salt, and pepper. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes.
- 3. Remove pan from heat. Stir in diced tomatoes and basil.
- 4. Zita and Cheese. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to boiling. Add ziti; boil 10 minutes, stirring. Drain and transfer to a large bowl. Add half the sauce to bowl with ziti. Stir to coat. Pour ziti mixture into prepared dish. Top with remaining sauce and then sprinkle with cheeses.
- 5. Bake at 375 degrees fro 20 to 25 minutes, until bubbly and lightly browned. Cool 10 minutes.
- Sausage Variation (10 servings)
- 1. Sauce. Crumble 1 pound sweet Italian sausage in a 3-quart saucepan over medium heat. Cook 8 minutes or until no longer pink. Remove from pot with a slotted spoon. Add onion to pot. cook 4 minutes. Add garlic and cook another minute Stir in whole tomatoes and their juice, breaking tomatoes apart with a wooden spoon. Stir in tomato sauce, tomato paste, sugar, salt, pepper. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes.
- 2. Remove pan from heat. Stir in sausage, diced tomatoes and basil. Continue with recipe, step 4.