- Cooking Time: 60
- Servings: 16
- Preparation Time: 15
- • 3 ripe bananas, mashed with 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- • 3 cups flour
- • 1/2 tablespoon baking soda
- • 1/2 teaspoon salt
- • 3/4 cup butter, room temperature
- • 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- • 3/4 cup brown sugar
- • 3 large eggs
- • 2 teaspoons vanilla
- • 1 cup buttermilk (or use milk, remove a tablespoon and add tablespoon of lemon juice)
- • ½ cup sour cream (or yogurt)
- • 1/2 cup butter, softened
- • 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- • 1 teaspoon vanilla
- • ½ teaspoon lemon extract
- • 3 ½ - 4 cups confectioners sugar
- Preheat oven to 275°.
- Line a 9 x 13 pan with parchment paper, spray sides of pan.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- Mix together buttermilk, sour cream and vanilla, set aside
- In a large bowl, cream butter and cups sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time.
- Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk mixture.
- Stir in banana mixture.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake in preheated oven for one hour or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and place directly into the freezer for 45 minutes.
- Cream the butter and cream cheese until smooth.
- Add in extracts
- Slowly add in confectionary sugar and beat on low speed until combined, then on high speed until frosting is smooth. (Start with 3 ½ cups and I too loose or not sweet enough for your taste add more)
- Spread on cooled cake.
So, I always have banana recipes, My daughters go through spurts of eating bananas non-stop for a couple of weeks and then suddenly won't eat any for a week. I'll post some favorites, but they were a little bored with the normal recipe. I had some cake recipes I found, but it never quite turned out how I wanted, then after searching the internet I came upon a recipe that used a low oven (275) and then put the newly-baked cake into the freezer. Amazing. It worked. So, I took my regular recipe with those 2 modifications and was amazed! So, here it is.