Basil-Parmesan Waffle Chips With Roasted Red Pepper Dip For A Crowd
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups semolina flour
- 7 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 7 1/2 cups whole milk
- 6 large egg
- 3 cups fresh basil -- chopped
- 1 1/2 cups parmesan cheese
- 18 tablespoons olive oil
- DIP: -- makes 12 cups
- 12 7 ounce jars roasted red peppers -- rinsed and drained
- 6 cups neufchatel cheese
- 18 stalks scallions -- coarsely chopped
- 12 cloves garlic -- coarsely chopped
- 12 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- whole milk -- enough to thin out dip, if needed
- salt and pepper -- to taste
- Preheat waffle iron. Preheat oven to 200F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder, and salt to combine. In another bowl, whisk together the milk and egg until very well blended. Pour the liquid ing. over the fry ing. and stir with the whisk until just mixed. Fold in the basil, parmesan, and olive oil.
- Lightly spray the grids of waffle iron, if needed. Spray when needed. Spoon out 1/2 cup batter onto the grids. Spread evenly across the iron with a spatula. Bake until lightly golden and set - will be pale. Cut into serving size pieces, and place, in a single layer, on a rack in the oven. To crisp waffles, bake for 1 hour. Cool and serve at room temp. If made ahead, recrisp in a 200F oven.
- Place the peppers, cream cheese, scallions, garlic and lemon juice in a blender or food processor. Process until the mixture is thoroughly pureed. Pour the mixture into a bowl and chill until needed.