Beef & Bean Enchiladas with Chili Gravy
- Beef & Bean Enchiladas
- 20 flour tortillas (soft taco size)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 14 oz can refried beans
- 2-3 cups cheddar (or cheese of your choice), shredded
- 1 recipe Chili Gravy (from The Homesick Texan)
- To make the gravy:
- 1/4 cup lard (or vegetable oil)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1-1/2 tsp powdered garlic
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried Mexican oregano
- 2 Tbsp chile powder
- 2 cups chicken broth (or water)
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in the flour and continue stirring for 3 to 4 minutes, or until it makes a light brown roux. Add all the dry ingredients and continue to cook for 1 minute, constantly stirring and blending ingredients. Add chicken broth or water, mixing and stirring until the sauce thickens. Turn heat to low and let sauce simmer for 15 minutes. Add water to adjust the thickness.
- To make the enchiladas: Preheat oven to 400. Brown the ground beef in a saute pan and drain. Add the beef and refried beans to the pan, along with 1/2 can of water. Stir until smooth and cook until bubbly.
- Put 1/2 cup of chili gravy into a 9×13 baking pan. Add 1/4-1/3 cup beef mixture to the center of the tortilla and top with a handful of cheese (1/8-1/4 cup). Roll up and place seam-side down in the pan. Repeat until all the beef mixture is used. Pour remaining chili gravy over the enchiladas and top with shredded cheese.
- Bake 12-15 minutes in the oven, until cheese is melted and bubbly.