Beef Brisket w/Gravy
- Cooking Time: 8hrs
- Servings: 5-7
- Preparation Time: 10min
- 2-4LB Beef Brisket
- 1c Ketchup
- 1c Water
- 1/4c Whole-grain Horseradish Mustard
- 1/8c Cider Vinegar
- 1tsp Sugar
- Salt & Pepper
- 1/4c Wondra Flour
- 1 can Beef Broth
- 1 sm Cabbage, thinly sliced
- 3 Carrots, sliced
- 1 Onion, sliced
- 2-3 cloves Garlic, minced
- Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
- * Cut brisket in half and put in Crockpot- WITHOUT corning spice packet.
- * Blend together remaining ingredients for BRISKET, pour over meat and cook on LOW setting 6-8hrs til fork-tender.
- * Remove beef and set aside to rest; pour juices from crock into saucepan.
- * BEGIN VEGGIES: heat olive oil in skillet for sauteing; add veggies and saute on med heat for 5-7min.
- * Add ladle-full of crock juices to veggies once they're tender-crisp; cover and reduce heat to very low to simmer and steam while preparing gravy and meat for serving, stirring occasionally.
- * BEGIN GRAVY: add broth to crock juices over med heat in saucepan while slowly incorporating flour with a wire whisk til there are no lumps.
- * Cook gravy, whisking frequently, til thickened to your liking, then cover and remove from heat.
- * Slice cooled, rested beef across the grain on a serving platter.
- * Ladle gravy over meat, setting aside some to for guests to serve themselves (in the event that you also made mashed potatoes, as I did).
- * Serve with veggies and your choice of starch (bread, biscuits, taters, rice).
So I wanted to make a brisket as is tradition on New Year's, but I get tired of the Corned Beef n Cabbage. I dug around on the Interwebz and modified one I found for a Crockpot to use what I had around in the way of seasoning and condiments, and made gravy from the juices! It was YUM!