Beef Tongue with Rainbow Peppers
- Cooking Time: 56 minutes
- Servings: 4 - 6
- 1 beef tongue (aprox 2 pounds)
- 1 + 1/2 onions
- 3 garlic cloves
- bay leaves
- ground pepper
- olive oil
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 orange bell pepper
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- Put the tongue (whole), 1 chopped onion, 2 chopped garlic cloves, rosemary, thyme, 4 bay leaves, salt and ground pepper in a pressure cooker, add enough water to cover the tongue and cook for 50 minutes.
- When the tongue is done and cool, remove the outer skin (it should come right out when you pull it) and chop it in 1"x1" pieces.
- In a pan, put a little olive oil and add 1/2 a chopped onion and 1 chopped garlic clove. Wait a couple of minutes and add the tongue pieces, after a little while add the chopped colored peppers and 2 teaspoons of capers. Add salt to taste, cover and let the flavors soak for a while, when the peppers are done (cooked but still crunchy), it's ready.
- You can see the original recipe that inspired me using the link below.
I remember eating beef tongue as a young child and loving it, my husband has the same memories of the soft melt-in-your-mouth meat, so the next recipe was chosen. I was watching El Toque de Aquiles the other night and decided to do my own version of his "Beef Tongue with Capers Pseudo-Stew", I used the same ingredients but tweaked the process.