Beer-cheese Soup In Bread Bowls
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cubed and softened
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 can (12 ounces) beer, optional
- 4 Oven Baked frozen crusty French mini-loaves (from 13.1-oz bag)
- Optional Toppings:
- Croutons, popcorn, crumbled cooked bacon, sliced green onions
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine the first eight ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours. Combine flour and water until smooth; stir into soup. Cover and cook on high 30 minutes longer or until soup is thickened. Stir in cream cheese and cheddar cheese until blended. Stir in beer if desired. Cover and cook on low until heated through.
- Bake mini-loaves as directed on bag.
- Remove loaves from oven; cool 10 minutes. Cut top off each loaf. Lightly press centers of loaves down to form bowls. Place each bread bowl in individual shallow soup plate. Spoon soup into each bread bowl. Sprinkle with chives. Place top of each loaf next to filled bread bowl.Serve with desired toppings.