Betty Crocker Red Velvet Triple-Stacked Cupcakes
- Cooking Time: 2 hours
- Servings: 16
- Preparation Time: 40
- 1 box Betty Crocker® SuperMoist® German chocolate cake mix
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened baking cocoa
- 1 bottle (1 oz) red food color (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1 jar (7 oz) marshmallow creme
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 to 5 teaspoons milk or water
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- Heat oven to 350°F (325°F for dark or nonstick pan). Place paper baking cup in each of 24 regular-size muffin cups.
- In large bowl, beat cupcake ingredients on low speed 30 seconds, then on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Divide batter evenly among muffin cups (about two-thirds full).
- Bake 18 to 23 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes; remove from pans to cooling rack. Cool completely, about 30 minutes. Refrigerate uncovered 1 hour.
- In large bowl, beat marshmallow creme, butter and 3 teaspoons of the milk with electric mixer on high speed until fluffy. Beat in powdered sugar 1 cup at a time. Gradually beat in just enough remaining milk until smooth and spreadable.
- To assemble, remove paper baking cups, and cut cupcakes in half horizontally. Set aside 16 cupcake tops. Pipe about 1 tablespoon frosting onto cut side of 16 cupcake bottoms; top each with another cupcake top or bottom. Pipe about 1 tablespoon frosting on each cupcake. Top with reserved cupcake tops. Pipe frosting on cupcake tops. Decorate with sprinkles, if desired. Store in refrigerator until serving.