Blackberry Velvet Sangria
- Servings: Makes 4-6 servings.
- 1 750mL bottle of red wine (I use Merlot)
- 2/3 cups sugar
- 1 cup frozen blackberries
- 3 California navel oranges
- 1/2 of a lemon
- 1/4 cup applejack
- Slice one of the oranges into half moon sized pieces and set aside. Juice the remaining oranges into a medium sized saucepan. Juice the lemon into the pan, too.
- Add the frozen blackberries and sugar and bring to a boil. Let the concoction simmer on medium-high heat (it should bubble even when stirred), whisking until sugar and berries are dissolved.
- Let cool for ten minutes before straining the mixture into your serving container, which should measure 1 liter.
- Add the wine, applejack, and orange slices and refrigerate until cool. Serve over ice.
Sangria is my favorite type of libation. I started making my own at home because most varieties sold in stores are made using methods that are not vegan-friendly (gelatin and other animal based ingredients are used in filtering and other processes). It's totally worth the effort or making it from scratch for something that's so delicious!