- Servings: 4
- 12 fresh mint sprigs, each about 8 inches long,
- plus 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 cup light rum
- Sugar and 1 or 2 lime wedges for coating rims
- Ice cubes as needed
- 2 cups club soda
- For the garnishes:
- 1 lime, cut into 4 wedges
- 4 small fresh mint sprigs
- In a bowl, using the back of a wooden spoon, crush together the mint sprigs, sugar and lime juice.
- Pour in the rum.
- Cover with plastic wrap, and let stand at room temperature for at least 2 hours or up to overnight.
- Select 4 tall, slender glasses.
- Spread a layer of sugar on a small, flat plate.
- Working with 1 glass at a time, run a lime wedge around the edge of the glass to moisten it, then dip the rim into the sugar to coat it evenly.
- Put the glasses in the freezer to chill for at least 15 minutes.
- When ready to make the mojitos, fill a blender halfway with ice cubes.
- Pour the rum mixture through a fine-mesh sieve into the blender.
- Add the club soda and the 1/2 cup mint leaves and puree until well blended.
- Divide the mixture evenly among the chilled glasses.
- Garnish each glass with a lime wedge and a mint sprig.