Blood Orange Sorbet
- 1 1/4 cups Water
- 3/4 cup Sugar
- 1 tsp. Cinnamon
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. finely grated peel from oranges
- You want to end up with 2 1/3 cups of orange puree, and for me, that was 2 lbs. of blood oranges
- Combine water, sugar, cinnamon and peel in sauce pan. Bring to a boil to dissolve sugar, stirring well. Remove from heat.
- Dissect oranges, removing peel, pith, membranes and seeds, working over a bowl to reserve juices (this is a tremendous amount of work). Place orange mixture in a blender or food processor and puree until smooth. Combine water/sugar mixture and blend to combine. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator and pulse blend to combine. Place mixture in ice cream freezer and process according to manufacturers directions. OH MY!!!
- Cover and freeze any remaining sorbet. (?) LOL!! :)
I purchased some blood oranges, and I've been looking for a good recipe to use them. I read through many, many recipe sites. In the end, I combined several recipes to come up with what turned out to be quite the amazing result. This just fit so well! I'll warn you ahead of time, this is an incredible amount of work, takes a little planning ahead of time, but is SO worth it! Enjoy!