Blueberry Pecan French Toast
- 18-20 1-inch-thick slices of french bread
- 6 large eggs
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup pecans (about 3 ounces)
- 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) plus 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups blueberries (about 12 ounces)
- Butter a 13 x 9-inch baking dish. Cut 18 1-inch slices from baguette and arrange in one layer in baking dish. In a large bowl whisk together eggs, milk, nutmeg, vanilla, and 3/4 cup brown sugar and pour evenly over bread. Chill mixture, covered, until all liquid is absorbed by bread, at least 4 hours, and up to 1 day.
- In a shallow baking pan spread pecans evenly and toast in middle of oven until fragrant, about 8 minutes. Toss pecans in pan with 1 teaspoon butter and salt.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Sprinkle pecans and blueberries evenly over bread mixture. Cut 1/2 stick butter into pieces and in a small saucepan heat with remaining 1/4 cup brown sugar, stirring, until butter is melted. Drizzle butter mixture over bread and bake mixture 20 minutes, or until any liquid from blueberries is bubbling.