Brats N Beer Potato Salad
- Cooking Time: 10
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 20
- 1 1/2 pounds boiling potatoes, red or Yukon Gold
- 4 bratwurst (substitute hot dogs)
- 1 cup sauerkraut, drained and, if desired, rinsed
- 1 onion or 1 bunch green onions
- 1 bottle or can of beer, preferably full-flavored dark beer, divided
- 1 Tablespoon mustard
- 1 Tablespoon vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons olive, canola or other vegetable oil
- salt and pepper
- Scrub or peel the potatoes and cut into 3/4 inch chunks. Put in a saucepan, cover with water and add 1 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are barely tender, about 10 minutes. Don't overcook.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan or skillet, mix the brats, sliced, with the drained sauerkraut and about 1/2 bottle or can of beer. Simmer this until the brats are done. (If using pre-cooked brats, simmer until warmed through.)
- Slice the onion into paper-thin slices and separate into rings.
- Drain the cooked potatoes and drizzle 2 - 3 tablespoons of beer over the hot potatoes.
- Make the dressing: Whisk together 1 Tablespoon beer, Tablespoon mustard, 1 Tablespoon vinegar and 3 Tablespoons oil. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix the potatoes with the brats and sauerkraut. Stir in the onions. Add the dressing and mix gently. Serve warm or cold.