Brulee Blackberry Coffee Cake
- Cooking Time: 45
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time: 15
- 1/3 c. unsalted butter, softened
- 6 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 c. milk
- 2. c. all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 pint ripe blackberries
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a 9-inch cake pan.
- 2. Cream together butter and 3 tablespoons sugar. In a medium bowl, toss the berries and the remaining sugar. Add the eggs to the creamed butter and mix thoroughly.
- 3. Sifted flour the flour with the baking powder and salt, add half of this mixture to the butter and eggs, and blend.
- 4. Add the milk to the batter gradually, mixing constantly. When it is completely incorporated, mix in the rest of the flour.
- 5. Spread half the batter across the prepared pan. Place the berries in a single layer on top, then spread the remaining batter over them. Bake for 30 minutes. (I had to bake mine 45 minutes.)
- 6. Immediately upon removing the cake from the oven, rub a pat of unsalted butter across the top. Sprinkle the brown sugar evenly over the top. Use a torch to melt and caramelize the sugar, or place the cake under the broiler for a minute to do so. Serve hot and enjoy!