- 1 French baguette
- 3 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese
- In a small mixing bowl, combine tomatoes, onion, garlic, basil, oregano, and salt and pepper. Mix well, cover, and refrigerate.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut the loaf of French bread into 12 slices on the diagonal.
- Arrange the bread on a baking sheet and toast in the oven for 5 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Reduce the oven's temperature to 250 degrees.
- Spoon equal amounts of the tomato mixture onto the toasted slices of bread.
- Top with slices of mozzarella.
- Place the pan of bread back into the oven until the cheese has melted just slightly and is oozing over the tomatoes, approximately 2 minutes.
- Serve immediately.