Buttermilk Coffee Cake
- Cooking Time: 35-40 minutes
- Servings: 18
- Preparation Time: 20 minutes
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2/3 cup butter, margarine, or shortening (I used shortening)
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 1/3 cups buttermilk or sour milk (1 tsp. lemon juice of vinegar to one cup of regular milk...I used lemon juice)
- 1/2 cup nuts, chopped (I used cashews).
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Grease bottom and 1/2 inch up sides of a 13 X 9 X 2-inch baking pan (I used an non-stick spray for baking), and set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine flour, brown sugar, and salt; cut in butter/margarine/shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs; set aside 1/2 cup.
- Stir baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg into remaining crumb mixture.
- In another bowl combine eggs and buttermilk; add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture.
- Spoon batter into prepared pan; combine reserved crumb mixture and nuts; sprinkle over batter.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve warm.