- Cooking Time: 40
- Servings: 9
- ¼ lb butter (4 tbsp)
- 2/3 cup white granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Spray an 8 inch square pan with non-stick spray. Melt butter.
- In a large bowl, stir together the sugar and the melted butter.
- Add the eggs and beat until well mixed.
- Add the buttermilk and baking soda and stir to combine.
- Stir in the cornmeal, flour, and salt until just blended. Lumps are just fine.
- Pour the batter into the pan.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cut into nine squares (3 cuts on each side) and serve.
- • Replace the buttermilk with 1 cup of plain low fat yogurt for a lower fat bread
- with the same tang.
- • Add ½ cup of corn, either fresh or frozen that has been thawed and well drained.