Butterscotch Meringue Pie
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups milk, scalded
- 3 eggs, separated
- 3 TB butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 baked, pastry pie shell
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Combine brown sugar, flour and salt in top of double boiler, stir in milk gradually.
- Cook until thick, stirring constantly, remove from heat.
- Stir small amount of hot mixture into beaten egg yolks; return to hot mixture.
- Return to heat, cook for 2 minutes longer, stirring constantly.
- Add butter and vanilla.
- Pour filling into pastry shell.
- Preheat oven to 350
- Beat egg whites until stiff, beating in sugar gradually.
- Spread meringue over pie filling, sealing to edge of shell.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 12 minutes or until meringue is browned.