- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup solid vegetable shortening
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons hot milk
- Combine brown sugar, butter, 1/4 cup milk and corn syrup in saucepan. Cook to 250 degrees, or until a small amount forms a hard ball in cold water. Stir constantly after mixture starts to boil. Remove from heat.
- Combine vegetable shortening and salt and add confectioners' sugar gradually, creaming well. Add hot milk, then pour in hot butterscotch mixture gradually. Beat until smooth and thick enough to spread.
- Makes enough icing to cover the top and sides of a 10- by 10- by 2-inch cake, or tops and sides of two 8-inch layer cakes.