CAKE WITH SEMOLINA, NUTS AND APPLES (my Mom's
- Cooking Time: about 30 min
- Preparation Time: 20 minutes
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar (230 ml)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup oil
- 1 cup semolina
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup ground walnuts
- 1 cup grated apples
- 1/2 package baking powder
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 slice of lemon
- Whisk the eggs with sugar. Start adding all other ingredients, one at time.
- Pour the batter into a greased and floured baking tin (round or square).
- Bake in an oven preheated to 180°C. I really forgot to watch how long it took to bake it, but basicly I waited till it became light brown and checked with the toothpick when I thought it was ready.
- While the cake is still in the oven, prepare the syrup. Bring water and sugar to boil, add lemon and vanilla extract, and remove from heat.
- Leave the cake in the tin, cut it into squares and pour the syrup over it.
- Both cake and syrup should be warm.
- Let it cool completely before serving. It's even better if you leave it rest overnight.
It's a cake that my prepared very often when I was a kid. It's quick and simple to prepare, but surprisingly moist and tasty. I used Extra Virgin Olive oil for this cake and that gave it a strong flovour, apart from making it a bit healthier than if it was made with butter or other oils. Nuts, grated apples and especially semolina give it a particular crumbly texture, and the syrup adds some moisture without making it too sweet. I guess next time I'll add some grated lemon rind to the batter as well.