- 6 beaten eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder or 4 teaspoons instant coffee crystals
- 1/4 cup light rum or milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons finely shredded orange peel
- 10 long cinnamon sticks
- In a large, heavy saucepan mix eggs, milk, the 1/3 cup sugar, and espresso or coffee. Cook and stir over medium heat about 8 minutes or until mixture coats a metal spoon. Remove from heat. Cool quickly by placing pan in a sink or bowl of ice water and stirring for 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in rum or milk and vanilla. Cover surface with plastic wrap. Chill 4 to 24 hours.
- At serving time, in a medium mixing bowl beat whipping cream and the 2 tablespoons sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form. Transfer chilled egg mixture to a punch bowl. Fold in whipped cream mixture. Serve at once. Sprinkle each serving with shredded orange peel and serve with cinnamon sticks.