CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES with Buttercream Frosting
- CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES
- (Adapted from Barefoot Contessa at Home)
- 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk, shaken, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup sour cream, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons brewed coffee
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup good cocoa powder
- MOM’S BUTTERCREAM FROSTING
- (Adapted from Allrecipes.com)
- Yields: 12 servings
- “A smooth creamy frosting, perfect for any occasion. This is an old recipe from the 1940’s.”
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line cupcake pans with paper liners.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the butter and 2 sugars on high speed until light and fluffy, approximately 5 minutes. Lower the speed to medium, add the eggs 1 at a time, then add the vanilla and mix well. In a separate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, sour cream, and coffee. In another bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. On low speed, add the buttermilk mixture and the flour mixture alternately in thirds to the mixer bowl, beginning with the buttermilk mixture and ending with the flour mixture. Mix only until blended. Fold the batter with a rubber spatula to be sure it’s completely blended.
- Divide the batter among the cupcake pans (1 rounded standard ice cream scoop per cup is the right amount). Bake in the middle of the oven for 20 to 25 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes, remove from the pans, and allow to cool completely before frosting.
- In a small saucepan mix the flour and the milk and cook over low heat until it forms a smooth paste with no lumps. Place in refrigerator and let cool completely.
- With an electric mixer beat the shortening, butter or margarine and the sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the cooled flour paste and mix until smooth. Stir in the vanilla. Use to frost any cooled cake. Makes enough to frost one 9×13 inch sheet cake or two 8 or 9 inch layer cakes.
In the picture of the cupcake I used the chocolate cupcake recipe and after they were baked I cut a cone out of the center and filled with some cherry pie filling to which I added a little almond extract. I then frosted them with the buttercream frosting tinted pink and almond extract added as well. I then sprinkled them with some little red candies and topped them with one cherry reserved from the filling and topped with a chocolate heart that I made from melted chocolate.