Cabbage and White Bean Soup with Sausage
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 12 ounces fully cooked chicken-apple sausages (about 4), halved lengthwise, then cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 4 cups thinly sliced green cabbage (about 1/2 small head)
- 3 leeks (white and pale green parts only), halved lengthwise, then thinly sliced crosswise (about 3 cups)
- 2 cups baby carrots, cut in half lengthwise, then halved crosswise
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste concentrate (from tube)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 8 cups low-salt chicken broth
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini (white kidney beans), rinsed, drained
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add sausage slices and sauté until brown around edges, about 5 minutes. Add cabbage; sauté 2 minutes. Transfer to bowl. Add remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil to same pot and heat over medium heat. Add leeks and carrots and sauté until soft, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Add tomato paste, parsley, and rosemary and stir 1 minute. Add broth, sausage-cabbage mixture, and beans and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 40 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. DO AHEAD: Can be made 1 day ahead.
Amazon gave me a free subscription to Bon Appetit...have been paging through it. Most of the recipes are too "chichi" for me...that and they do not have nutritional information on the recipes..that bugs me. This one looked doable and not too unhealthy. I could only find chicken apple sausage with gouda cheese in it. I think the cheese melted into the soup and made it somewhat greasier than I would have liked, but overall I though it was a very hearty, yummy soup.