Caramel Apple Cake with Caramel Topping
After Dinner Birthday Cake Christmas Condiment, Sauce Dairy Dessert Dinner Party Easter Eggs Fruit Fruity Gift Idea Independence Day Labor Day Memorial Day Mixer Mother's Day New Year's Eve/Day North American Nuts Nutty Oven Potluck Roast Snack Southern US Sweet Sweet Sauce Thanksgiving Topping Topping
- Cooking Time: 60
- Servings: 16
- Preparation Time: 20
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 1/2 cups diced apples, canned or fresh
- 3 sticks butter
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- To make cake:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream together sugar, eggs and oil.
- Add flour and mix together until well blended. Add vanilla, nuts and diced apples.
- Spread into a lightly greased and floured 13 x 9 inch baking dish.
- Bake for 45 to 60 minutes.
- Cake is done when toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- When cake is done, punch holes in it with a knife and pour topping over.
- To make topping:
- Heat all ingredients over medium heat.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Let boil for about 2 minutes.
- Pour over warm cake.