Cardamom Butter Cookies
- Servings: 30
- 2 cups flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 1/2 teaspoons ground cardamom (Divided)
- 3/4 tsp Bakers Ammonia (Ammonium (bi)Carbonate or Salt of Hartshorn)
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts, Blanched and finely ground
- 5 tablespoons powdered sugar Plus More for Dusting
- Heat oven to 375°F
- Line a baking sheet (or 2) with Parchment
- Combine salt, 2 tsp of the cardamom, bakers ammonia and flour in a bowl.
- Cream Butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add flour mixture and beat at low speed.
- Stir in ground hazelnuts. (This makes a really stiff dough)
- Combine powdered sugar and remaining cardamom.
- Scoop 1 Tbsp of dough and roll into a ball.
- Coat with powdered sugar mixture.
- Place on parchment lined cookie sheet ans smash cookies with the bottom of a small glass, dipped in the powdered sugar mixture to 1/2" thick.
- Cookies should be 3/4 - 1 inch apart after smashing.
- Bake about 13 minutes or until the edges JUST start to brown.
- Move from baking sheet to a cooling rack and sprinkle with more powdered sugar while warm.
- Put in airtight container for a couple of days to improve flavor.
- You can freeze these for at least a couple of months.