Carolina Gold Rice Pudding
- 1 cup short-grain white rice (recommended Carolina gold rice)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- Pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- Fruit Sauce, recipe follows
- Fruit Sauce:
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon rum extract
- 1 cup stewed fruit, optional
- Put the rice in the top of a double boiler set over simmering water. Add the salt & 3 cups of boiling water. Cover and cook until the rice is tender, about 30 minutes.
- Stir in the condensed milk, butter, & raisins. Cook, stirring frequently, over simmering water until the pudding thickens slightly, about 20 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat & stir in the vanilla and nutmeg. Spoon the pudding into individual custard cups & refrigerate until ready to serve. Invert puddings onto chilled plates & serve with fruit sauce.
- For the fruit sauce:
- Remove the pot from the heat &and stir in the lemon juice, butter, & rum extract. Serve warm over rice pudding garnished with stewed fruit, if desired