Carrot And Coriander (cilantro) Soup
- 1 pound of carrots, chopped
- 1 Onion, chopped
- At least 1 pt of stock
- 2 tbsps ground coriander (cilantro)
- A handful of fresh coriander (cilantro), chopped roughly
- In a very large saucepan or stockpot, sweat your onion until soft, then add the carrots and the ground coriander. Keep over a fairly low heat and sweat for a good long while. I left them for about 30 minutes whilst I did something else - returning every now and then to stir them.
- When they're starting to soften slightly, add your stock - I used at least a pint of good quality vegetable stock, but I can't be exact with quantities - and leave to simmer until the carrots are soft and done.
- When that happens, put the whole lot in a blender and blend the living daylights out of it. (I say 'whole lot'... I had to do it in batches because my blender is quite small...)
- Stir in your fresh coriander and serve in big bowls with buttered bread.
- You could add some creme freche or cream in a pretty swirl, if you were feeling fancy!
This was a recipe I threw together as a bit of an experiment and it worked well, thankfully. Carrot and Coriander soup is very popular here in the UK (not sure if its as popular in the US - I hope so because it's delicious!) This made 2 really generous main meal servings, so would serve more as a starter or snack